Pages

Monday 4 October 2010

Roses & Hello

The title of this blog and the etsy shop I'm hoping to set up comes from one of my favourite e.e. cummings poems:

into the strenuous briefness
Life:
handorgans and April
darkness, friends

i charge laughingly.
Into the hair-thin tints
of yellow dawn,
into the women-coloured twilight

i smilingly glide. I
into the big vermilion departure
swim, sayingly;

(Do you think?) the
i do, world
is probably made
of roses & hello:

(of solongs and, ashes)

Now, whilst my favourite part of this poem is the final line "(of solongs and, ashes)" - that doesn't make for a very cheerful label for jewellery. The part of me that prefers melancholy romantic poetry loves the idea of 'solongs' but combined as one word it looks a lot like a name for a bad r&b group. So the more sanguine 'Roses & Hello' won out.

R&H

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Header! I love the font for the word Roses, can you share where you got it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, sure no problem the 'oses' lettering I got from this vintage christmas greeting card - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CarNcodpCMA/SSNhs74VlqI/AAAAAAAABzs/n7jtxogkXoA/s1600-h/1aaaseasoncomp005.png

    I can't seem to find the 'R' right now but it was from an antique receipt. I'll try to find it on the site.

    ReplyDelete